Wednesday, May 4, 2022

CELEBRATE MOTHERS . . .

To one who bears the sweetest name and adds a luster to the same,

Long life to her, for there’s no other, who takes the place of my dear mother.

Mothers have a great honor and responsibility in shaping the character and lives of their children.

When Faith Promise Missionary Linda Summer’s mother passed earlier this year, she shared the following words at the memorial service. What a beautiful tribute to her mother!


Linda Summer & her Mother Helen Mae Bailey Layton

To begin, my mother was a beautiful lady, inside and out. She enjoyed beautiful things. So, while all my friends at college were eating from paper plates with plastic utensils, I had a set of hand-painted Italian China. I still have it today!

My mother took a lot of trips. She always brought me back a surprise. I knew she was always thinking about me, about us. She made me blueberry muffins on my birthday. She made Christmases magical. In a day when many parents are pursuing careers, my mother always took care of us. She was always there! My mother was always there to pick us up after school. She was always there for us, in the morning and in the evening.  

Mommie had such patience. Growing up, I needed someone who would be patient, who could see my heart, even when my words were not the best. As a little girl, about five or six years old, I decided to tell my dad’s pilot friends about Jesus. So, I went up to a captain on Delta, and I said, “Do you know Jesus?” He stammered, “Uh what . . .” and I said, “If you don’t know Jesus, you’re going to hell!” Not the best technique, but my mom could see the deep desire of my heart.

One of my best teenage memories was going with my mother and watching her tell people about Jesus. She taught me how to love people and tell them about hope. I saw my mother stand over a deep hole where men were working. She said down into the hole, “Do you know that sin is a deep pit from which you cannot escape? The men were shocked and did not know how to respond.

My mom really trusted God, and she trusted me to trust God. One day I told her I had been praying and asking God to close a very bad store in Sandy Springs. I knew what they sold did not honor God, and wanted it gone. I had become impressed that God was going to close it within the month. I wanted to go to the store and warn the people who worked there that they were about to be unemployed. My mother took me. Who takes their fourteen-year-old daughter to a place like that and lets her go inside? I told them that God had decided that they were done, and that they should look for a new job. My mother waited patiently for me in the car. And of course, the store closed just as God told me it would.

My mom took me to the big Jesus Rally in Texas. Out of the tens of thousands of people there, I was probably the only one there with my mother. My mom always dressed well, but she let me dress differently. So, I decided I wanted to wear a big floppy hat. She said, “Okay.” Around the side of the hat was embroidered the message of the Gospel, how a person could come to know Jesus. On the top were the words of a prayer so that people could pray to ask Jesus to rescue them. In Atlanta, I noticed there was a man at the airport who kept walking circles around me. He was obviously reading my hat. We went to the Jesus Rally, and I didn’t think anything else of it until we were leaving Texas. Ironically, the same man found us in the airport. He got very excited and told us, “I prayed with your hat! I prayed with your hat!” I can still see my mom’s beautiful smile as she heard his words.

My mom loved Jesus. She taught me to love Jesus too. The first Scripture verse she helped me memorize was John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, and whosoever believes in Him, shall not perish but have eternal life.” This is still one of my favorite verses. My mother loved to read her Bible. Every day, she would read from Psalms and Proverbs. She taught me to love this book, the Bible.

My mother believed in the power of prayer. She kept a prayer list in her Bible. Every day, she would pray for her children, their spouses, and her grandchildren.

I learned so many lessons from Mommie about how to be a grandmother. The most important lesson was this: she always showed up. I live in the middle of nowhere in the North Georgia mountains. The kids had a play, and she drove up from Atlanta to this little school. I remember one little boy pressed his face against the window and looked outside. He said, “There’s a Jaguar in the parking lot!” She was always the grandmother that showed up. She came to their puppet shows, even when they were in inner city Atlanta in the very worst places.

And let me close with this: I get told all the time that I am a hero because of the work that I do. But the truth is . . . the real hero is sitting in the front row, my sister Catherine who took care of our mother. My mother told me about Jesus. She made everything that came after that possible. She told me, and I told millions of children about Jesus. That is my mother’s legacy. I can only imagine the blessings that awaited her in Heaven.

God has been so good to me. Helen Mae Bailey Layton was my mother, is my mother. Because she is more alive than she has ever been. In the book of Hebrews, we read we are gathered about by such a great cloud of witnesses. So, finally my mother will be able to see me do an overseas puppet show. If she was sitting here right now, I know what she would say if she was able to speak to you now, “Praise God, I’m home!” Amen.

In Jesus,
Linda Summer

*************************************************************************

PRAYER & PRAISE - May 4-10, 2022

5/4 Gary & Esther Smith 
Ethnos360, Papua New Guinea        
Pray for Esther. An MRI revealed a tumor (an acoustic neuroma) in her head. It’s benign but causing havoc to her mobility. She will get another MRI in June and if it’s grown, they will return to the States for surgery. Pray it will stay the same size or shrink! Although there are good and bad days, she is still able to minister in the home school department.
 
5/5 Tyler & Lara Patty 
Josiah Venture, Czech Republic 
Please pray for their Ukrainian team as they have fled their homes and now reside in either Poland or the Czech Republic to help refugees. Pray for the refugees which Tyler & Lara are hosting in their home; that they would feel cared for and feel the love of Jesus.
 
5/6 FOTIS & MARY ROMEOS 
AMG International, Greece
Pray for strength for their administrative load in their office as one more strategic project was  added to their list of programs; TOM  (80 Tanzania orphans supported by their churches in Greece). In addition, pray for their Soccer Camp – May 6-8; Lee University – May 13-19; and Educational Trip Spring Arbor University – May 20 - June 9.
 
5/7 Doug & Lisa Mitts 
Greater Europe Mission, Germany           
Please pray for God to lead the Greater Europe Mission work group seeking to meet the physical and spiritual needs of Ukrainians fleeing from the war and helping them with the trauma. Ask God to give the team wisdom, courage, and insight for the work ahead.
 
5/8 D & C 
Asia
Pray for D & C and their teams in Taiwan as they watch the geopolitical world in which they serve. With more than one hundred colleagues and children on the island, they need God's wisdom and clear direction for their teams based there. Pray as they are busy connecting with colleagues and partners in Asia in the evenings and with pastors, friends and IMB home office departments daily while on their stateside assignment.
 
5/9 Bill & Joy Carrera 
Wycliffe Bible Translators, Peru
Please pray for Joy in her trip to Chicago for her next PET scan scheduled for today, May 9. Pray that the doctors can determine what is causing the muscle cramps which are a side effect after starting a new cancer treatment. Pray also for new teachers for SAM Academy for next year.
 
5/10 Al Rhea 
Cru, USA/Southern & Eastern Africa
Praise God and pray for the New Staff Orientation with 30 people applying for staff membership. Ask the Lord to supply the financial resources to facilitate their training. Many ministry partners have been affected financially by Covid. Ask God to supply funding for staff members. Please pray for the nation of Zimbabwe's economy to be revived.

“Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.” I Corinthians 15:58 (NASB) 

Our monthly Prayer & Praise Calendar is also available on fba.org/globalmissions 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LITSIKAKIS

MICHAIL & LOIS LITSIKAKIS     Faith Promise Missionaries serving with          AMG International in Greece   Michail and Lois have...